Girl Rising Blog

After attending both the screening of the movie "Girl Rising", and the author talk with Tanya Lee Stone, I had several important take-aways from the experiences. The first is the incredible privilege that receiving an education is. Starting with my reading of the book, and supported by the girls stories in the movie-- I realized that an education, and knowledge is what most of these girls yearned for the most. This put being a future educator in a whole new perspective. I will be responsible for the education that actual, real life students, will receive-- an experience that some children (and adults) both domestic and abroad desire more than anything. The second take away was the importance of educating people on what they can do to help. Tanya opened her author talk with an anecdote of going to see the movie Girl Rising with her daughter and her friends. She had not yet written the book, but was inspired to do so when she asked her daughter and her friends a few months later what they recalled about the issue of women education around the world. She was shocked to find that the students remembered the girls and their stories quite well, sympathizing with them, but could not really speak to the larger issue of obstacles women have to receiving education. She decided the format of a book might be more beneficial, so that students can flip back and digest the information at their own pace. The sheer amount of content and research that went into the book "Girl Rising" showed me the importance of not just empathizing with issues around the world, but enacting upon them.
    One connection I have seen from our SMC mission statement to the issue of women's education around the world reflected through these events is the first pillar, which states, " Our graduates are passionate scholars... they skillfully use their research and analytical skills to investigate educational issues and identify promising developmentally based practices". Focusing on the issue of access to education around the world, and researching it, shows a dedication and passion to the importance of education. If we do not understand the larger implications of education and children across the world's lack of access to it, how can we effectively place value on the education we offer to students on a daily basis?
     These opportunities have offered me a great experience to reflect and look forward to the impact I want to have on my future students. I had not realized how much I truly want my students to WANT to learn until reading "Girl Rising" and going to the subsequent events. One quote that really stuck with me and inspired my reflective thought process was when one girl was asked "If you could fly to anywhere, where would you go?" Her response? " I would fly to education". This moment completely took me aback, and made me think of how many times in my own life, and probably my future students lives, we have said we want to fly AWAY form our studies, our busy lives, responsibilities, etc. Until coming to college, I never felt the incredible privilege and opportunity that an education is. I am not completely sure how yet, but this book/movie has inspired be to do more research into how I can foster a desire and appreciation for the education they are privileged too without coming across like I am lecturing them on the importance of education.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LGBTQ+

Mini-Lesson Evidence